Friday, August 27, 2010

How does God feel about the poor?

As I was doing my daily Bible study for today I came across a part that stood out to me - "Thou, O God, hast prepared of thy goodness for the poor." (Psalm 68:10b)  It made me ponder the question of how God feels about those who are less fortunate.

I have thought about this often.  I, myself, am not rich monetarily.  I have never aspired to be rich, even as a child my only desire was to have a family and have my basic necessities met.  But what does God have to say about the issue....

Jesus said, "For ye have the poor with you always...."  (John 12:8)  It was said matter-of-factly.  He goes on to say, "and whensoever ye will ye may do them good."  Does this mean God prefers the poor?

The poor people I know vary... some are unwise with money, and some just can't help being poor.  But there is a stigma that comes with it.

I believe it is the duty of the one who has more to help the less fortunate.  What does that mean?  Should it be government-mandated?  This I don't know.

In life there seems to be more questions than answers.  But on this issue I want to share that God does have compassion on the poor and I think we should too.  I don't think those who squander their resources should be rewarded.  But who among us is perfect?...

God is so merciful, and for that we all should be thankful.  :-)


"A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows....
God setteth the solitary in families.  He bringeth out those which are bound with chains....
Thou, O God, hast prepared of thy goodness for the poor.
Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men.
Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits....
Blessed be God!"
(Psalm 68: 5a, 6a, 10b, 18a, 19a, 35c)

No comments:

Post a Comment